Calling all Greek wiki editors! We now have a Greek-language Minecraft Wiki available, in addition to this Greek-language Witcher wiki. Help us make these fine wikis into the valuable resources they can be!
Vampire is a hypernym used to refer to a number of creatures that thrive on blood, which contains their victims' life force.
|“||I looked for the words "Witcher urgently needed". And then there'd be a sacred site, a dungeon, necropolis or ruins, forest ravine or grotto hidden in the mountains, full of bones and stinking carcasses. Some creatures which lived to kill, out of hunger, for pleasure, or invoked by some sick will. A manticore, wyvern, fogler, aeschna, ilyocoris, chimera, leshy, vampire, ghoul, graveir, werewolf, giant scorpion, striga, black annis, kikimora, vypper... so many I've killed.||”|
— pg. 116, Η Τελευταία Ευχή (UK edition)
— pg. 148, Η Τελευταία Ευχή (US edition)
Physiologus entry[επεξεργασία | επεξεργασία κώδικα]
|“||A vampire, or upir, is a dead person brought to life by Chaos. Having lost its first life, a v. enjoys its second life during the night hours. It leaves its grave by the light of the moon and only under its light may it act, assailing sleeping maidens or young swains, who it wakes not, but whose blood it sucks.||”|
— pg. 143, Βάπτισμα Πυρός (UK edition)
Vampire Species[επεξεργασία | επεξεργασία κώδικα]
- Higher vampires:
- Lower vampires:
Notable Vampires[επεξεργασία | επεξεργασία κώδικα]
Στο παιχνίδι The Witcher:
Sapkowski's Vampires[επεξεργασία | επεξεργασία κώδικα]
Vampires in Sapkowski's works break with many popular stereotypes. In particular, vampire repellents such as holy water, crucifixes, garlic, wooden stakes, etc. are nothing but folklore within the Έπος του Witcher. For example, Regis, the vampire who accompanies Γκέραλτ for a time, was once decapitated, staked through the heart, sprinkled with holy water and finally buried, but that did not prevent him from regenerating, albeit slowly.
Here are a few more myths and facts about vampires in Sapkowski's works:
- Higher vampires do not need to drink blood. It is like alcohol to them, in that they can become drunk from it. Additionally, drinking blood increases their strength.
- They are not adversely affected by silver.
- A vampire bite does not turn the bitten creature into a vampire.
- Vampires are not undead or transformed creatures; they are born as vampires. The race of vampires appeared in the world after the Conjunction of the Spheres.
- Not all vampires must avoid the sun. Many have adapted and easily tolerate daylight.
- They cannot be seen in mirrors and other reflective surfaces.
- Rushing water (rivers, etc.) poses no obstacle to their movement.
- Holy water, crucifixes, and garlic are ineffective against them.
- Partial bodily damage, such as a stake through the heart or decapitation, is only an inconvenience to them.
- Some can touch white hot metal with their bare hands without injury (this was the case with Regis).
Βαμπίρ στο παιχνίδι The Witcher[επεξεργασία | επεξεργασία κώδικα]
There is at least one point where the game breaks with Sapkowski's written works regarding vampires:
- Garlic repels vampires.