Calling all Greek wiki editors! We now have a Greek-language Minecraft Wiki available, in addition to this Greek-language Witcher wiki. Help us make these fine wikis into the valuable resources they can be!
Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
|Adalbertus Aloysius Καλκσταιν|
A. A. Καλκσταιν, master alchemist
|Βίζιμα / Old Vizima|
Adalbertus Aloysius Καλκσταιν is a master Αλχημιστές who lives in the non-human district of the Συνοικία του Ναού in Βίζιμα. He is also honorary chairman of the Alchemists, Geomancers, and Pyromancers Club, and rival of the Oxenfurt Inventors' Club. He lives right next door to Golan Vivaldi, in fact, and just around the corner from Shani. Γκέραλτ first meets him in the Προάστια where the state of quarantine is making it difficult for anyone to enter the city, and the alchemist is no exception. While Καλκσταιν waits to have his pass accepted, he bides his time at the Inn.
As an alchemist, he also buys and sells items related to Αλχημεία. Without a doubt, Καλκσταιν is an honest merchant. At the best prices, he will buy and/or sell:
He is very interested in anything alchemical or unnatural. On his first encounter with the witcher, he asks our hero if he can examine his body — for scientific purposes only! When Γκέραλτ takes exception, he then relents and asks if he can perform an autopsy upon his death. This does not really go over well either so they change the subject.
Later in Chapter I, Γκέραλτ meets Καλκσταιν a second time at the Merchants' Gate, where he is being threatened by Salamandra who are intent on taking his equipment, by force. After a quick round of swordplay, the bad guys are dispatched and a grateful alchemist offers Γκέραλτ a reward: his services any time the witcher is in Βίζιμα, at a discount. It is also at this point in the story that Γκέραλτ realizes the full extent of the repercussions of the theft of the Witchers' Secrets from Kaer Morhen and his resolve to track them down and make them pay is renewed. In Chapter II, the witcher must seek out the alchemist again, but this time, it is the witcher who needs the alchemist.
Once Γκέραλτ gets out of prison and takes up his investigation of Salamandra, it does not take long before the name, "Καλκσταιν" crops up again. Remembering that the alchemist's place of business is in the Temple Quarter, our hero sets out to find it. The shingle outside Καλκσταιν's house says it all. It seems that the alchemist needs someone handy with a sword for his latest project. This seems to be the project that excites him most: opening the mysterious Mage's tower in the swamp. He had previously hired Berengar to look into it, but that witcher just disappeared.
It is entirely possible for the plot to take a turn where Καλκσταιν becomes the prime suspect in the witcher's investigation of Salamandra. During the autopsy portion of the investigation into the murder of the crown witness, the alchemist can be implicated. In that event, Azar (masquerading as Raymond) seizes the opportunity presented by Γκέραλτ's false conclusions and further blackens Καλκσταιν's reputation with tales of his alleged involvement with the criminal organization. Only after a confrontation with the real culprit at the Mage's tower does Γκέραλτ finally learn the truth.
In Chapter III, once the tower has been opened, it becomes Καλκσταιν's main base of operations for a while. And fortunately for the witcher, there seem to be no hard feelings if Γκέραλτ had implicated him in Chapter II. Their relationship merely continues as normal. Of course, if the alchemist was not implicated in Chapter II, there is nothing to forgive, so it is business as usual.
In Chapter V, we find the alchemist in Παλιά Βίζιμα, where tales of mutants and strigas roaming the streets have lured the curious scientist. If Γκέραλτ chooses the Witcher / neutral path, Καλκσταιν also becomes his armorer when it becomes necessary to fashion Raven's armor for the final battle.
καταχώρηση στο ημερολόγιο[επεξεργασία | επεξεργασία κώδικα]
- The absent-minded alchemist seems nice, but it is obvious that scientific theories are of greater concern to him than the more prosaic aspects of life.
- He lives in the part of the Temple Quarter inhabited by non-humans. He runs an alchemy workshop there, earning his living selling potions. But he devotes himself to his greatest passion — gnomish alchemy.
- The alchemist sometimes uses the services of witchers. Berengar used to work for him.
- Καλκσταιν has dealings with Vizima's criminal underworld. Strange company for an alchemist to keep.
- I have proved that Καλκσταιν is not the Salamandra leader. I'm glad, because I've actually grown fond of the alchemist.
- For the first time since I arrived at Kaer Morhen, I saw a truly happy man. The door to the tower in the swamp stood wide open, and at the thought of all the alchemical secrets waiting inside, Καλκσταιν was as delirious as a drunken dwarf.
- Even though he calls himself a scientist, Καλκσταιν is an alchemist, so he definitely dabbles in magic.
- Καλκσταιν is the author of many alchemical works, including a treatise analysing attempts to animate inanimate matter, an activity known otherwise as constructing a golem. Apparently the alchemist has been interested in this matter for years. Καλκσταιν's convoluted style makes his work difficult to read.
- Riots and fires in the city drove Καλκσταιν from his laboratory. I met the alchemist in Old Βίζιμα, to where he fled.
Συναφείς αποστολές[επεξεργασία | επεξεργασία κώδικα]
Καλκσταιν is one of the most prominent characters in the game and is central to many quests:
- A Magic Formula
- A Mysterious Tower
- Anatomy of a Crime
- Armor, if Γκέραλτ chooses the Witcher / neutral path.
- Beauty and the Beast
- Berengar's Secret, indirectly
- Suspect: Kalkstein
- The Alghoul Contract
- The Crown Witness
- The Garkain Contract
- The Ghoul Contract
- The Sentry
- The Wraith Contract
- Vizima Confidential, as part of the investigation.
- What Lies Beneath
Notes[επεξεργασία | επεξεργασία κώδικα]
- According to one of the books he authored, Transmutations and Metamorphoses, his full name is Adalbertus Aloysius Καλκσταιν.
- Καλκσταιν is one of the few Έμποροι who will purchase Wolf pelts and Barghest skulls from you. He buys all the expensive Ορυκτά, a good way to get some easy cash. He also buys alp fangs (if you have an excess of them).
- In Chapter III, Καλκσταιν tells Γκέραλτ about his new ground-breaking theory of invisible particles constituting matter, in constant movement and interacting between each other. This is a witty nod to what we now know as atoms.
- According to Γκέραλτ's quest comments in his journal, Καλκσταιν seems to be of gnomish heritage, and Γκέραλτ really wants to ask about it, but Καλκσταιν would be rather tall for a gnome.
- It is possible that Καλκσταιν's enthusiasm for doing an autopsy on the witcher is a nod to the mage, Gorazd in the novels who offers Γκέραλτ gold for the opportunity to examine witcher eyes — when he is ready. Or perhaps to a medic, who wanted to examine Coën after he died in the Battle of Brenna.
- "Καλκσταιν" is both the German and Norwegian word for "Limestone".