Adda the White
Princess Adda the White is the daughter of Foltest, king of Temeria. She was born a striga as a result of a curse cast by either Ostrit (a local magnate who loved her mother) or Sancia (Foltest's mother). The magnate was in love with king's sister, the mother of the princess, whose name was also Adda. When he learned of the incestuous relationship between the king and his sister, Ostrit tried to put a curse on the king and this is blamed for Adda's transformation into a striga. However, Foltest's mother was also furious at the incestuous relationship between her children and may also have cursed their child. So it is possible that either Ostrit or Sancia, or both were the cause of the curse.
Adda was named for her mother who died during the birth. Her nickname "the White", which came from the colour of her hair after the curse was removed by Γκέραλτ, served to distinguish her from her mother, Adda της Temeria and Adda της Cidaris, the wife of kind Goidemar. She was also left mentally impaired, so while she remains the logical Temerian heir to the throne, the continuation of the royal line begun by Geddes is definitely in question.
- 1 Early life as a striga
- 2 Princess Adda
- 3 Στην ταινία και την τηλεοπτική σειρά
- 4 Στο παιχνίδι The Witcher
- 5 Στο παιχνίδι για υπολογιστή The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
- 6 Βίντεο
- 7 Gallery
- 8 References
Early life as a striga[επεξεργασία | επεξεργασία κώδικα]
Adda was born a striga, but together with her mother, died at her birth. She was laid to rest with her mother in the family tomb, but after seven years, she came back to life, as a full-grown striga. For seven years the striga roamed Παλιά Βίζιμα, stalking and devouring the unwary. Many had made attempts to kill her or lift the curse, but none had succeeded, until Μάγιστρος Γκέραλτ της Ρίβια arrived.
After an intense battle, first killing the man responsible for her curse, Ostrit, Γκέραλτ locked her out of her coffin until sunrise, breaking the curse on her and restoring her to her 14-year old human shape.
Princess Adda[επεξεργασία | επεξεργασία κώδικα]
While Adda's human form was fully restored, her mind was left terribly degraded by trauma, and she is still in danger of relapse. To ward off the curse, Γκέραλτ instructed the princess to wear an amulet necklace and told her keeper to have her participate in rituals designed to ward off the curse. ("Ο Μάγιστρος" Διήγημα)
Unfortunately, even though Adda's curse was lifted, she remained mentally retarded. It was also then that her hair became white, which earned her the name "Adda the White".
In the non-canon Διήγημα "Coś się kończy, coś się zaczyna", Adda seems to have recovered sufficiently from her curse to have become the queen of Temeria.
Στην ταινία και την τηλεοπτική σειρά[επεξεργασία | επεξεργασία κώδικα]
Adda appears in the 8th episode of The Hexer TV series, "Rozdroże" ("Crossroads"). As a striga, she is portrayed by Zbigniew Modej, while Adda after the curse is lifted is portrayed by Magdalena Górska.
Στο παιχνίδι The Witcher[επεξεργασία | επεξεργασία κώδικα]
Even though in the "Temerian Dynasty", additional material written by Andrzej Sapkowski and published on his official website, Adda was described as white-haired and mentally retarded. However in the game and in the English translation of the Διήγημα "The Witcher", her hair is red, and while there is no explanation for the change of her mental state, it is possible this change was to make her more like the strigoi of Romanian myth, on which the Witcher Striga is based. According to Romanian mythology a strigoi has red hair, blue eyes and two hearts.
The princess has grown into a pretty, if some what wild and spoiled girl whom Γκέραλτ met at Leuvaarden's reception, where she was accompanied by the ever attentive Roderick de Wett. During that reception, when she has lured Γκέραλτ to her alcove, if he denies her the sex she so obviously wants, she petulantly lets a tidbit slip about her intentions towards her father's crown.
According to the Professor's notes, Adda collaborated with Salamandra. She was behind the counterfeiting of the royal seal  and forged the proclamations of the state of emergency, and therefore was responsible for the chaos in the Trade Quarter. She was promised the throne of Temeria, though in reality Salamandra believed her to be unpredictable and would not likely have honoured that bargain. The organization planned to break the alliance.
When Ostrit put a curse on Adda, he described the process in his diary. Whoever possesses the diary may renew the curse and transform Adda back into a striga. But Adda is not only dangerous as a striga, she is equally dangerous with the power she wields as princess. It is only thanks to Triss' intervention, that Γκέραλτ managed to escape Adda's (manicured) claws by the skin of his teeth.
Συναφείς αποστολές[επεξεργασία | επεξεργασία κώδικα]
καταχώρηση στο ημερολόγιο[επεξεργασία | επεξεργασία κώδικα]
- At Leuvaarden's reception I had the chance to meet Princess Adda. Some years ago I relieved her of the striga curse, and the princess has grown into a pretty, if somewhat wild and spoiled girl.
- According to the Professor's notes, Adda collaborated with Salamandra. She was behind the counterfeiting of the royal seal and forged the proclamation of the state of emergency. She was promised the throne of Temeria, though in reality Salamandra believed her to be unpredictable. The organization planned to break the alliance.
- It turned out that Adda was behind the forgery of the royal seals and responsible for the chaos in the Trade Quarter. The princess had been collaborating with Salamandra, but it seems this alliance was too much for her. Thanks to Triss' intervention, I managed to escape Adda's claws by the skin of my teeth.
- Princess Adda was born of an incestuous union and came into this world as a striga. This was the consequence of a curse cast by a jealous courtier who had loved her mother. For several years the striga roamed Old Vizima, stalking and devouring the unwary. Until I arrived, no one had been able to kill her or lift the curse. Adda did not fully regain her personality, however, and there is still danger of a relapse. That's why the princess wears amulets and participates in rituals designed to ward off the curse.
- If Γκέραλτ kills the striga:
- The curse of the striga returned and Adda changed into a monster again. This time I had to kill her.
- If Γκέραλτ lifts the curse:
- The curse of striga returned and Adda changed into a monster again. I managed to free her of the spell once more.
- Princess Adda was born a striga as a result of Ostrit's curse. The magnate was in love with the king's sister and Adda's mother, whose name was also Adda. When he learned of the incestuous relationship between the king and his sister, Ostrit put a curse on the king and described the process in his diary. Whoever possesses the diary may renew the curse and transform Adda back into a striga.
The Gift[επεξεργασία | επεξεργασία κώδικα]
Adda wants catoblepas meat, rare is best. To obtain the item, speak to Velerad, the burgomeister, but do not forget some strong alcohol to loosen his tongue. Then he will point you in the direction of Thaler, who wants a letter from a chest in the nearby alcove before revealing any more information. Finally, speak to Triss, as she can conjure the necessary gift for the princess.
Notes[επεξεργασία | επεξεργασία κώδικα]
- There is also the butcher in the Trade Quarter who has a dog named "Adda", because she is "a spoiled bitch".
- Her story is told in Disenchanting a Striga.
Στο παιχνίδι για υπολογιστή The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings[επεξεργασία | επεξεργασία κώδικα]
Adda is a mentioned-only, secondary character in The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings.
The book "The Temerian Royal Dynasty" provides in-game information about Adda. If you have imported a saved game before starting, then the journal entry added by that book is based on the choices made in that game (otherwise Adda is dead by default).
One of Chorab's tales is about Γκέραλτ lifting the curse from Adda for the first time.
If Adda was killed during original game[επεξεργασία | επεξεργασία κώδικα]
- Foltest mentions the lack of an heir at the beginning of the game.
If Adda was spared during the original game[επεξεργασία | επεξεργασία κώδικα]
- During the conversation with the Kaedweni messenger, the issue of the Temerian nobility rejecting Adda as a future queen takes a primary role - Boussy La Valette's death is but a secondary concern.
- Radovid V mentions that in Redania, Anaïs La Valette would be safe and close to her half-sister - Adda.
- In Vergen Γκέραλτ stumbles upon a priest who accuses him of "saving the monster".
Βίντεο[επεξεργασία | επεξεργασία κώδικα]
Gallery[επεξεργασία | επεξεργασία κώδικα]
References[επεξεργασία | επεξεργασία κώδικα]
- for more information about the forgery, see: Mysterious note
|Dezmod • Geddes • Gardic • Goidemar • Cedric • Griffin • Bienvenu La Louve • Medell • Foltest|
|Queens and consorts|
|Vinifrida • Vulpia της Brugge • Riannon • Adda της Cidaris • Berengaria Thyssen • Clarissa της Toussaint • Ragbard της Ellander • Hugo της Rivia • Sancia της Sodden|
|Other members of the royal family|
|Maria Pulcheria • Leticia Charbonneau • Amavet • Fiona • Adda της Temeria • Adda the White|
|Sambuk • Abrad the Old Oak • Radovid the Great • Dambor the Black • Vestibor the Proud • Radovid II the Sailor • Radovid III the Bold • Vizimir I the Old • Vridank the Elf • Radovid IV the Bald • Heribert the Quarrelsome • Vizimir II the Just • Radovid V the Stern|
|Maria Pulcheria της Temeria • Caitlyn της Kaedwen • Cirra της Cintra • Viviana της Lyria • Cerro • Fiametta της Cidaris • Diana de Saint-Villiers • Hedwig της Malleore • Adda the White|
|Other Redanian royal family members|
|Falka • Riannon • Dalimira • Milena|